…with the librarians, and in Chicago, too, to have dinner with John & Megan and catch my flight to Florida.
Tuesday was a long day – at 7:30 AM I was on my way to the community center to serve waffles for the food pantry breakfast. At 7:30 PM I was in Chicago at Orchestra Hall to hear the Chicago Symphony.
Wednesday morning Mark and I went to breakfast and then to the MCA for a show then I caught the 1:30 train back.
I dinked around for so long on my last post that I thought about re-configuring it as a collection of brief observations, maybe even a bulleted list, but found myself unable to edit down my deathless prose. But I think I’m going to try, here:
- Thank god for all hip librarians out there – the cab driver who was unable to back down my driveway using the back up camera in the Prius, with the dam thing meeping the whole way as we inched along headed for the tree, making me want to jump in the front seat and wrench the wheel from his hands, turned out to be a SLIS alum. But, as Anna said, he was bumbly (endearing but bumbly) before he came to library school – we didn’t make him that way, and as Mark said the only mistake the School made was admitting him.
- I think we sat next to good natured rich people when we went for brunch at Kanela Breakfast Club. The guy talked about knowing the former owner of the Pirates. I had their California benedict – the English Muffin was topped with spinach, avocado, tomato, poached eggs, and Siracha hollandaise that was nice and spicey.
- I really liked the Kerry James Marshall show at MCA – the art history major in me loves his approach: learn the art historical canon then use it to present your own ideas.
- Little Bad Wolf was a nice dinner, but kind of expensive for what we had – 2 bao, 2 burgers and a salad, 4 beers and a Manhattan = $109.00
- I walked with John & Megan to the bar where they were getting another drink then walked to the red line at Argyle – retracing our route from graduation weekend when we went to Hopleaf.
- Now I’m day 2 of library conference – too much time in uncomfortable chairs listening to librarians drone on about metadata.
- Nice Friday night dinner in Orlando at a Greek place – I had grilled shrimp with 2 big fingers of lemon potato and roasted peppers – the red ones were tastier then the green – and lemon parsley rice. And 2 glasses of a nice white wine. Unfortunately, I counteracted the healthful effects of dinner by buying a little bottle of much less nice white wine in the convenience store at the hotel and drinking it all while we watched GoT reruns.
- Otherwise, we’re in a kind of strip mall no man’s land – not much good to eat. I had $7 nachos and a bottle of water for lunch one day, and a hot dog the other day. Saw some nice clouds. Picked up Pride/Pulse solidarity bracelets in the exhibits one day.